Saturday, July 01, 2006

Recovering from Vacation and Exploring Small Pets


Well, it has taken me a week to recover from my vacation! We had a great vacation with my husband's family, whom I have come to know as my own as well. My sister and nephew went with us as well and we were able to do so many things and see some really neat places. The East Coast is full of opportunities and fun things to do and see. A couple of the highlights were spending the day on the boardwalk and beach of Ocean City, gambling (and losing) in Atlantic City and New York City for two days. We stayed in a hotel right in the middle of Time Square. My sister got her picture taken with Rupert at Hello Deli (featured on Dave Letterman's Tonight Show) and my daughter stole a pack of Mentos from his deli. We, of course, uncovered the pieces of the theft and took care of it. My husband told the patrons of the deli and Rupert about her bigger, badder attempt at stealing a pot roast from a grocery store. Fortunately it ended up in our cart and we paid for it, puzzled why we had an extra pot roast at home. Then figured out how it happened. This caused uproarious laughter which my husband was pretty proud of!

Eva will throw anything into the cart as we shop. We really have to watch her or we'll end up with 12 cans of Spam and 6 cans of pea soup if we aren't careful.

Our trip was awesome, but exhausting. By the end of the week I was saying that I would have to go home to relax! But that's a good vacation, right? One where you do things you wouldn't normally do and be more tired than you would normally be because of it.

Now it's back to regular life, if there is such a thing. My current e-book assignment is writing about small pets like gerbils, toy dogs, snakes, hermit crabs, etc. Once again, as I research I am learning about all kinds of interesting information about buying, caring for and developing relationships with small pets. So far, learning about ferrets and their ability to become a part of the family just as a cat or dog is most interesting.

I am also writing about mice and rats as pets which I have a new appreciation of as I learn more about the benefits. I didn't know that rats could learn to come to their name. Apparently, mice and rats are intelligent which is why they are used so often by scientists to conduct research.

If you have a small pet of any sort, feel free to comment on this blog and share your experience. I will be happy to learn about personal experiences and opinions regarding the small pets in people's lives. You can also email me at sbrackney@gmail.com

3 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger Homemom3 said...

sounds like a fun trip. I hate gambling there though, always go home broke lol. :) Wow, you brought your sister with ya, that's how you know you are part of the other family. That's great! As for the pet thing, I had a hamster and a gunea(sp)pig growing up. Let me know if that'll help. A friend had a LARGE rat she took everywhere with her, but it was very smart.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

Welcome back!! :-)

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sherri, if you are reading this you are recovered hop



sherri I hope you had a good time on vacation, especially, with your inlaws. what are they like? no matter how smart rats are they are still rats. i do not know if i could have a rat for a pet. kind of creepy after watching ben and willard movies. how is your little baby and is she having a good summer?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home